(Takes a deep breath) This is a 3:33am blog, but one which i feel is justified.
Some of us cry because we lose a loved one, some of us cry because a love scene from a film touches us, some of us cry because we're lonely and need to feel loved, and some of us cry because we just can't help it. Me? I cried tonight for the first time in months, and it didn't have anything to do with past acquaintances, who I spent a lot of my last year crying over. I cried tonight because I watched a film, and it didn't so much as hit me in the right place, but it plain and simply fucking blew me away. These weren't 'full tears' unfortunately, not the good tears which roll down your cheeks, not the ones which you don't want to wipe away because that trail they leave is just so alien and yet addictive. Unfortunately, my tears welled up, and they stayed there. Glossing my eyes over and turning them into little reservoirs of glistening mirror. But they were still there. They still did the same thing as the trailing tears. They still showed their impact. 'The Breakfast Club' left an impact on me. It's only two and a half weeks into the new year, but already I believe i've seen the best film of my year. Maybe it IS from the mid 1980's and I feel so fucking stupid for never having seen it before, but finally my time came, I saw it, and I fell in love with it. I saw 'Lord of the Rings: Return of the King' on Friday and while it was excellent, i'm sorry, it's not a patch on 'The Breakfast Club'. I'm now left trying to describe how good this film was when quite simply, words are useless. If you have access to this film, see it. I haven't told you a single thing that happens in it, and maybe that's the best way to approach such a film, especially with having one hell of a seemingly ambiguous title. But see it. Don't do it immediately, do it when you can. You HAVE to absorb yourself in a film, you can't expect to watch it while there's someone sat there chewing you up every 5 minutes. Wait till everyone's gone to bed or something, get some headphones, stick that fucking plug into the TV, and lie back with the sound going only to YOU. And watch this film.
Some of you will have read this and thought I was over-reacting. Maybe exaggerating the essentialness of such a 'thing'. If you know me at all, movies are my life. I love movies, I could talk movies for hours with anyone who felt compelled enough to do it, I'll watch ANY movie once, regardless of theme, genre, cast, director, year, language, nationality, etc. Movies are what move me. Not a death of someone close to me. Not the 'hero' who saves lives in a war that i don't understand. And certainly not some ill-healthed kid who's considered 'brave' because they can walk about in public with a fucking machine attached to them. Movies are me. If you think i'm fucked up beyond compare because of this previous blog, then that's up to you. But I have an affinity with these things. I'm sure you have an affinity with something too. Maybe you're too afraid to admit it, or maybe on the other hand you SCREAM it to everybody, because you're so proud of it. But don't tell me that if presented with someone who decides to put down what you believe in, that you wouldn't take a step back to prepare a ball-breakingly honest defence of your passion. Because I know I would.
And if you don't know me, what the fuck are you doing even reading this blog? (Raises eyebrows)
Time: 3:57am
Movie of the Year: The Breakfast Club
No comments:
Post a Comment