10.7.04

Quite a few expected comments to my last update, but I gotta disagree mostly with Velvet who described uni as just a school with grown ups in. Just on the basis that the one's I see about me are so fake, full of shit, and living up the student lifestyle bigtime. The student lifestyle is tricky to figure out. You see it portrayed on comedy shows in one way, the Viz magazine decides to go all the way and depict students as being huge gobshites who try their hardest to use 'long' words and talk about shit they haven't got a clue about in the vain hope that someone might be sitting within their presence thinking, "This guy / gal knows what they're talking about!", and students themselves try to live up to the ideology that being a student is cool, and envied.

Fuck that. The students I know are trying their hardest to be this stereo-typical student in the hope that they'll be accepted, most notably the ones who've come from outside of Liverpool. Don't get me wrong, i've met students from as far as Essex, Scotland, Italy, and Scandinavia who are genuinely nice, but their attempts at being accepted inadvertantly push away a lot of the genuine feel about them. They don't feel real. And it's why I have mostly kept to the scouse lot in JMU, who DO feel very honest. The likes of Kristine, Jenny, Marc, Michelle, amongst others, are the sole reason i've remained sane in Uni. If I didn't have them there, i'd end up wanting to go crazy in there, with all the posing and bullshit that goes on in there.

I'll give it one thing tho; the lecturers are fucking ace. Yannis Tzioumakis, David Sorfa, Claire Horrocks, Trevor Long, even the amazing chair battling Corrin Willis, these people are splendid, and always a wonder to watch. And when they joke about how their class look tired from a night out on shitty cheap ale, I can't help but sit there and think that they're wasted on such 'prospects' as us lot.

On a sidenote, my blog's definitely becoming less and less popular as time goes on. Maybe people have got bored of me finally. Maybe old faces have went, because i've pissed them off or whatever. Anywho, if it gets to the point where I feel like i'm typing blog after blog for barely anyone, i'll likely ditch the fucker, but save it in a text format or something. Don't forget, I only continue to type this up because people ask me to! :P It's been a good listener, but maybe it's time to give up, and leave this record of what's been a sometimes funny, sometimes distressing, and sometimes fucked up 30 months behind me...

PS: Been checking some severely fucked up albums over on allmusic.com, here's some of my fave's...

Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy (OVER 14 HOURS LONG???)
Nothing Scary (You've got to read the album review to really fully understand the uniqueness of what's going on here...)
XX (Could you ever see Britney create an album like this?)
Rock 'n' Roll Will Never Die (In bad taste maybe? Never-the-less, there must be some people out there who could enjoy an album of 24 more or less exact same songs by a schizophrenic.)
Adult Themes for Voice (Mike Patton is a god to me, and this album is one of those reasons. Hotel rooms + Patton's Voice = ???)

No comments: