8.3.04

Auto's Top 10 Movies:

1. Magnolia

A film which depicts a day in the life 9 vastly different people. It revolves around the idea of chance and coincidence, and shows just how much people can affect one another's lives without ever realising it. My favourite film ever, starring my favourite actor William H. Macy, directed by my favourite director Paul Thomas Anderson... it has the ingredients to bring any down on their luck individual back to happiness, if even only for a very short while. Nothing makes me more thankful of 'Magnolia' than the day I applied for University, and ended up conversing with my interviewer on the uniqueness that is this film. 'Magnolia', you got me in! :P

Favourite Scene: When Quiz Kid Donnie Smith finally overdoes the drinking, and goes into a huge ranting rage against a barman who he's in love with, and a customer who's as philosophical as they come.

2. Donnie Darko

The world is going to end in 28 days. You don't know why or how, but you are the ONLY person who knows, because a 6 foot grey rabbit told you, that only you can see. Sounds like the bastard offspring of 'Harvey' I know, but dig deeper into this film and you'll be rewarded with a tale that's as mysterious as the likes of 'Memento', 'The Usual Suspects', and 'Cube'. If only to see the Gyllenhaal pair playing off on eachother (though Maggie's best film IS 'Secretary'). I used to love this film a lot more than I do now. It's just that with Gary Jules releasing 'Mad World' upon the masses, and the film finally gaining a special edition DVD release in the UK last year, everyone jumped on the bandwagon; you know the feeling, when you think you're the only one who loves this one thing in your life, only for countless others to join in your worshipping. That's how I felt because I saw this film over 2 years ago, when no-one had heard of it and was blown away by it. However, it does still hold a special place in my heart, and for that i'm truly grateful.

Favourite Scene: The 'realisation' scene when everyone wakes up at the same time. The partnership between visual and audio has never been as successful as it is in this scene, and the trade-off between the expressions and 'Mad World' is unreal. You'd appreciate this scene more if you'd never heard 'Mad World after it got released as single.

3. The Shawshank Redemption

It's a tale set in a prison. Basically. But deeper, it involves the sentencing of a man who believes he was mistakenly convicted for the murder of his wife. Everyone's against him, because he comes across as cold, calculating, and extremely clever. The story unfolds showing you the life of a prison mate in the 1940's (I think it's the 40's anyway... might be earlier), and the trials and tribulations one must conquer to survive in such an environment. The film deals you a super sucker blow, in a way which I won't ruin here, but let me just say I never expected the ending one bit, and for the way the story twisted it's way towards it conclusion, is testament to Frank Darabont's skill at telling a tale. When a movie is better than the short story it was based on, AND a short story by Stephen King no less, you have to sit up and take notice. If you haven't saw Shawshank Redemption, you're missing out on one of the greatest feelgood films ever.

Favourite Scene: People would expect me to announce the twist as the best, but for some reason, I just LOVE it when Redd is looking round the countryside for Andy's special place, after Redd has been released. It's just very nice, calming, and almost fantastical.

4. American Beauty

When a man's had enough of his life, he'll step up to the plate and take a swing at changing it for himself. Lester Burnham does it in this film, the debut for Sam Mendes, which stormed the oscars back in... 99' was it? Kevin Spacey's amazing, Annette Benning is unreal, and Chris Cooper is surprisingly great as a 'tough' guy. It's famous for Mena Suvari's roses scenes, Spacey's wanking scene, and Benning's outburst when she realises she is not succeeding in her career. Gotta love the 'King' fucking her too. The dialogue is too fine. The film although very funny at times, also carries with a very poignant message in its ending, one which we should all at least consider, even if we don't go along with it. It's a beautiful film, with a beautiful soundtrack, and is a very vivid depiction of what REALLY goes on behind the walls of our very own homes.

Favourite Scene: Hearing the gunshot. There's just something about 'montage' sequences that really makes me excited. I don't know, my fave scene in Donnie Darko is also a montage sequence... This one pulls off a much stronger impact however, and changes the plot in so many beautiful ways.

5. Rounders

A VASTLY unknown and under-rated film. But it has the likes of Matt Damon, Edward Norton, John Malkovich, Famke Jannsen, John Turturro, Gretchen Mol... but I think the fact it's about gambling puts a lot of people off. Don't let that be the case. I haven't the first clue about poker, Vegas rules, any shit like that, but I LOVE this film. Never have you experienced such suspense from watching a group of men playing a card game. It's bizarre how you get to feel excited just from watching Damon and Malkovich playing for big bucks. The story DOES drag a slight in the middle of the film but the beginning and ending sequences are just fantastic. I love this film, and I urge anyone who enjoys a well-told, if a little mis-placed with Damon in the lead role, story.

Favourite Scene: It just has to be where Damon and Norton go on a 'rounding' spree, and we're laid witness to Damon's skill as he fleeces group after group of wannabe pro's of their coins, notes, and anything else they're willing to put on the line for the sake of a few cards.

6. Blade Runner

Ridley Scott's 1982 Sci-Fi masterpiece. It's a beautifully filmed epic, and one which looks as modern today as it did futuristic back in 82'. Ladies will groan at the mere mention of sci-fi, but if you're going to refuse yourself the chance to see the greatest Sci-Fi flick ever told because of that generalisation that women seem to have about Science Fiction, then it's your loss. The story of an unhappy with life 'Blade Runner' (played magnificently by Harrison Ford), who's brought back for one last job has endeared millions over the years. I saw this for the first time when I was about 10, or 11, and I loved it then just as much as I do now. The sickeningly under-rated Rutger Hauer plays my 2nd favourite 'bad' guy of all time, and the film is also the home of my no.1 movie speech ever. Go see it, now.

Favourite Scene: The speech. Rutger Hauer proves why he's so under-rated in this one scene alone; have you heard of him? if not, watch this film, and be blown away by the chilling performance that this guy seems to reel out like it's child's play. If you loved him in this, he's just as good in another of my fave's, 'The Hitcher'.

7. Reservoir Dogs

It's got it all, blood, guns, swearing (Lots of), and a star cast comprising of Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Quentin Tarantino, Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi... this film is the best crime caper out there. People can have their Goodfellas, and The Godfather, but i'm keeping my dogs. I could watch this film for the dialogue alone, which is some of the best that cinema has ever laid witness to. Buscemi's speech about why he doesn't tip waiters is fantastic. Tim Roth's bathroom anecdote is legendary, even if only for the way he goes from not knowing why he's telling it, to mouthing it off like he gives speeches for fun. It IS a violent film, but then who says violence is wrong? It's a way of life for some people, and depicting it as such doesn't make it a bad thing.

Favourite Scene: Harvey Keitel and Steve Buscemi getting together in the warehouse for the first time. It's a fantastic way to start hacking away at the plot, and these two pulled it off magnificently. If you weren't gripped by the time Mr. Blonde walks in, you'll never like this film.

8. The Breakfast Club

I'm not discussing this anymore then i did a month or two ago when I posted a blog about it. Go hunt that down to see why I absolutely adore this film.

Favourite Scene: Any scene that has the teacher in it. It's guaranteed to be funny, whether it's to do with his coffee, his confrontations with Bender, or even just the way he struts around the corridors. Magnificent character.

9. Pink Floyd: The Wall

The greatest musical ever created. Moulin Rouge is good, Chicago's manageable, Grease? Don't even go there. Pink Floyd: The Wall however, is up there as THE best. Combining the no.1 prog rock album of all time with some intriguing acting by Bob Geldof, and throw in some of the most surreal animation you'll ever likely witness, and you have a recipe for success. Don't like Pink Floyd? Or The Wall? That's very unfortunate, because the film is a masterpiece. If you're not familiar with the album and it's metaphorical ridden story, you likely won't understand this film at all, but even then you'll still possibly be convinced to give it another shot, even if only to figure out what the fuck that was all about.

Favourite Scene: 'The Trial'. Who said the law was an 'ass'? Brilliant animation, superb song, very gripping stuff.

10. Back to the Future Pt. 2

Why part 2? Because it's when the story started getting REALLY interesting, and following on from pt.1 in the way it did was just legendary. Oh, and also because it isn't just an excuse to get the ladies sat in the cinema seats for it (a la Part 3). How you create a film which realistically revolves solely around the placement of a sports book of statistics seems absolutely baffling, but Zemeckis pulled it off whimsically, and the result is nothing short of extraordinary. Michael J. Fox gives the performance of his life, while Christopher Lloyd emphasises the range of character acting he's capable of. Lea Thompson never impressed me that much in the series, but Thomas F. Wilson (Biff) is a god amongst bad guys. Despite the fact he's just another human being like you and I, his character just reeks of evil so much, you can't help but love the stupid fucked up things he comes out with, e.g. his 'Now why don't you make like a tree, and get out of here?' mistake is so goddamn funny, you just HAVE to worship the bad guy for once! Darth Vader has nothing on Tannen!

Favourite Scene: I love the scene with Biff and... Biff, in the garage, where older Biff reveals the sports almanac to younger Biff. Excellent effects for the time the film was created, and a great performance by Wilson to carry off such a scene between his two characters.

And that's that. Why did I bother typing all of the above? I guess it's just my passion for films, and the hope that all of these people out there who I know that tell me they haven't heard of one of the above might actually sit up for once and give one of these beauties a watch. YES, some friends of mine really haven't saw the back to the Future series... where you neglected as children?!?!?!

I'm not going to say I hope you enjoyed it, because realistically it's water off a shark's back to me. But I hope if you haven't seen one of the above listed, that it might give you the kick up the arse that you need to be enlightened. And if it doesn't, as i've said twice already... your loss.

No comments: