1.12.05

I just finished reading the first four books of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, they being 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe', 'Life the Universe and Everything', and finally 'So Long and Thanks for All the Fish'. Now, while I believe the quality of writing did gradually decrease with each book, I can't help but feel sucked in by the world (or worlds as it in this respect) conjured up by Douglas Adams. His 'trilogy' of sorts really did have me pondering the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything; though suggest that the answer is '42' and you'd be greeted with baffled looks by passer-bys... passers-by... passer-by's... people walking past.

Why ARE we here? Mr. Adams would have you believe one of a million theories (I SO wanted to say forty-two :P ). The Canadian rock group Rush would suggest that we're here because we're here, roll the bones. Others may believe there's no logical explanation for our existence in this 'universe' or whatever the fuck it is that's wrapped around us. Either way, it kinda makes me feel a little lonely when I consider my position in this vast fucking void. Earth itself in relation to myself is so fucking huge, and yet in comparison to our galaxy, The Milky Way, it is actually quite small. Then there's the idea that our one galaxy is one of possibly an infinite number of galaxies out there. And then you've got to wonder what our universe is held within, if anything. And if it's not, how can there be no 'end', so to speak. You start thinking like this, and your head fills up with far too many questions with near enough no answers for any.

Anyways, I actually could go on and on reeling off unanswerable questions, and probably spin your brains in the process but I won't. Anyone who's read my blog for any prolonged period will know how much shit I can spout off so I won't torture you anymore than you already have been. Just let me say, if you can, read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And then go on to the other books if you enjoyed it. it's an enlightening and VERY refreshing read. And it's something different from the seemingly Harry Potter-only market that seems to have set-up shop in today's literary industry. Even if it is a few decades old.

No comments: