When I was a kid, I used to LOVE Garfield Comics. I'd buy the monthly magazine they used to sell, i'd watch the TV series (Which even back then i thought to be trying too hard in comparison to the still form), i'd beg my parents for little toys with the fat black and orange cat on, I loved the guy. Growing up, I lost my feel for him. I dunno what happened, but Jim Davis, the creator of the strip, seemed to lose the knack for humour he previously seemed to be so prevalent at conjuring up at whim. Anywho, I gave up on comics once I reached my teens. Being the pretentious prick I became, I sought for intellectual stimuli; anything that could get me thinking, and not be fed to me without me feeling like i'd been a part of it. Be it movies, TV shows (Yeah right), literature, even video games (you'd be surprised at some of the educational values our gaming culture possesses).
Now, until yesterday, i'd heard of calvin and Hobbes before, I just never knew what it was, besides a comic strip based in the US. I never knew it had ceased to exist in 1996 because the author, Bill Watterson, had become so afraid of fame, he couldn't handle the pressures of continuing this strip loved by millions. Nor did I know the strip itself followed the antics of a remarkably intelligent young 6 yr old boy known as Calvin, and his stuffed tiger Hobbes, who Calvin believed to be a real live tiger, and conversed with him on a wide range of subjects.
At a place that doesn't exist, I found a site with the top 25 Calvin and Hobbes strips of all time, and so fueling my curiousity no longer, I decided to fall for the bait and see what the fuss was surrounding this now defunct strip.
http://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/calvinhobbes.htm
If like me, you found those to be absolutely wonderous and enjoyful, here's a HUGE selection of more C&H for you.
http://members.tripod.com/Max_Simpsons/calvin/1.html
No comments:
Post a Comment