17.8.04

Wow, nostalgia! Ain't it great! Of course, for some, it's all about TV shows, or movies they saw as a kid. For me, i'm one of those odd cases who sees Video Games as a great portrait of my upbringing. Sure, I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja / Hero Turtles, Trap Door, Postman Pat, Danger Mouse, and so on. But I just don't like talking about these at all compared to talking about the likes of Super Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog (1 & 2 especially), The Legend of Zelda, F-Zero, Kid Chameleon, Splatterhouse, Rayman, Tetris, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Time, Secret of Evermore, Final Fantasy 7... I could go on. But I won't. Because there's a lot of people who read my blog and are reading this thinking, "What the fuck, I never realised he was a geek into his fucking games!" It's just what you're into really I guess. I understand why the term geek is used, but I dunno, I see games as the ultimate form of entertainment. You ARE the game, you control it, you feel it, you see your actions unfold, you hear them unfold. Sure it's often a 1-man thing in playing a game, but still, i've been swamped by a game in the past, especially when I was younger, and i'd forget there was a world outside. That's not an embarrassing thing. To be truly emotionally touched by a game is a sickeningly rare thing, but when it happens, boy do you feel it. I don't think I can anymore. I've lost the innocence that went hand-in-hand with feeling a part of a game, like you could when you were younger. Which is a shame, because the feeling i'd used to get playing Super Mario World, or hearing the ending theme to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the first, there's nothing like it. If you can enjoy these things, then fucking do it! I know i've got my library of consoles stacked for when I retire as an old man, and spend the rest of my days playing the classics. :D

No comments: